This Guan Gong sculpture, dating back to the Ming Dynasty (1368 to 1644), was donated to the Asian Civilisations Museum (ACM) in 1995. It was first exhibited to the public during the museum’s inaugural opening in 2003 and again selected for permanent display in 2017.
When the HCC received the sculpture, it was in a bad condition. The wood was infested with insects and fungi, and the mud on the sculpture was affecting the original paint work. It took the conservators close to 800 hours to clean and restore it to its former glory.
The work of the HCC ensures that our treasures in the National Collection are well taken care of, and ready for display in our museums and heritage institutions. It also facilitates access to the collection for our curators and external researchers to carry out further studies.